原句：While they were playing tennis, she started an argument that lasted all morning。
1、用介词（短语）替代从句。 when 引导的从句可以用during来替代，在方位及指路中可以用at 替代。
修改后：During tennis she started an argument that lasted all morning。
1) While they were playing tennis, she started an argument that lasted all morning.
原句：When you come to the second traffic light, turn right。
1# During tennis, she started an argument that lasted all morning.
修改后：At the second traffic light turn left。
2) When you come to the second traffic light, turn right.
策略之二：删除诸如"who is”或"that is"之类的关系代词，变从句为短语。例：
2# At the second traffic light, turn right.
原句：The novel, which is written in three parts, told a story that took place in the Middle Ages。
修改后：The three-part novel told a story set in the Middle Ages。
1) The novel, which is written in three parts, told a story that is set in the Middle Ages.
注：把句中的"three parts"改用形容词来表达，节省了四个不必要的单词"which is written in"。我们经常可以将关系代词如"that"去掉，这只会引起最少的变动。
1# Written in three parts, the novel told a story set in the Middle Ages.
1# The three-part novel told a story set in the Middle Ages.
Two joint partners will present their views over a long-distance telephone call。
1) A neighbour who would like to help others will get certain help in return.
1# A helpful neighbour often receives help from others in return.
2) The couple that has just married plans to visit Chengdu in southwestern China.
2# The newly-wed couple plans to visit Chengdu in southwestern China.
3) I want to thank people who are associated either in the past or at the present with the Shanghai International Studies University, such as Margaret Wang, Vivian Yang, Professor Li Guan-Yi and Miss Marion Baillie.
3# I want to thank people associated with the Shanghai InternationalstudiesUniversity, past and present: Margaret Wang, Vivian Yang, Professor Li Guan-Yi and Miss Marion Baillie.
1) Two joint partners will present their views over a long-distance telephone call.
1# Two partners will present their views over a long-distance call.
2) We sometimes make choices that put our lives in jeopardy where death can occur.
2# We sometimes make choices that put our lives in jeopardy.
3) He gets so angry that he would like to take someone else's life and murder them.
3# Sometimes he becomes angry enough to contemplate murder.
4) Liu Bin is employed at a TV station working as a news reporter.
4# 1) Liu Bin works at TV station as a news reporter.
4# 2) Liu Bin is a news reporter at a TV station.
4# 3) Liu Bin is a TV news reporter.
5) Sun Hong is determined in her mind to lose weight.
5# Sun Hong is determined to lose weight.
6) My car is a foreign import, not home-made.
6# My car is an import, not home-made.
7) This book will help you master the basic elements of good writing.
## basic 与 elements 重复，保留一个即可。
7# This book will help you master the basics of good writing.
8) Dr.Sun Yat-sen wants to Japan by means of a big boat.
8# Dr Sun Yat-sen want to Japan by boat.
9) He has no sense of principles, whether he is in public or in private.
###Me: he cannot realise whether he is in public or in private. 简化。另外：whether in white or in black= black or white; whether in theory or in practice= in theory, or in practice.
9# He has no principles, public or private.
1) It makes me feel painful to think that she has to work 12 hours a day and seven days a week.
## make sb feel painful 可直接用动词。it e及物动词 sb. it makes me sad= it saddens me, it makes me cheerful= it cheers me.
1# It pains me to think that she has to work 12 hours a day and seven days a week.
2) It will be our aim to ensure proper health care for each and every one of the Chinese people.
## Our aim 可以直接做主语，It is our position= our position is; it is my proposal that=my proposal is that/ I propose that.
2# Our aim is to ensure proper health care for all Chinese people.
3) The search of the forest that they conducted was entirely complete.
## the search 与conduct 重复。
3# The search of the forest was complete. 2) They conducted a complete search of the forest.
新葡萄京官网，4) The task that they performed was completely finished.
4# the task was complete.或 they finished the task. 看看强调的是哪一方即可。
5) In a cautious manner the car went around the corner.
5# The car went around the corner cautiously.
5# 2) The car negotiated the corner. negotiate="顺利通过"。
6、学会使用含否定意义的词， 如 lack rarely barely without.
1) College students who do not have sufficient financial backing can apply for the need-based scholarship.
1# College students who lack sufficient financial backing can apply for the need-based scholarship.
www.649.net，2) The side effects were not often experienced by patients.
2# The patients rarely experience side effects.
3) Susan almost finished talking on the phone, but did not, when her baby woke up.
3# Susan had barely finished talking on the phone when her baby woke up.